DCI Expeditions Summer Camps
Experience Chinese, Spanish, and French language and culture without leaving the DMV! On DCI Expeditions, our campers practice their language skills while exploring the world through music, dance, performing arts, athletics, cooking, science, technology, and visual arts. Language learners of all levels are welcome!
DCI Expeditions will host 3 sessions in Summer 2020. Students are able to attend one, two, or all three sessions.
- Session 1: July 6th-10th
- Session 2: July 13th-17th
- Session 3: July 20th-24th
The camps will run daily from 9am to 4pm and optional aftercare is available from 4pm to 6pm.
DCI Expeditions programming will be centered around language immersion in Spanish, French, or Chinese. No previous language experience is necessary! Students will participate in art projects, sports, cooking, and cultural activities all while practicing the target language.
Please review DCI’s Camp Registration Policies and Student Code of Conduct here.
Questions? Contact our Camp Director at email@example.com.
1 Session: $350
Aftercare for 1 Session: $100
$50 discount when registering for 2 sessions
$100 discount when registering for all 3 sessions
Sample of a Typical Day at DCI Expeditions
- Start each morning in the Theater with the full camp! Socialize, read, work on a craft project or just take some time to yourself before starting a busy day!
- Gather with your Cohort (based on language of choice and age) and hear the morning announcements from your camp leaders and director in your target language – Chinese, French or Spanish!
- Spend the morning rotating through 2 classes focusing on the cultures of the languages you’re practicing with us! All Cohorts who are new to their foreign language will take a full language class sometime in the morning.
- At midday, enjoy lunch in our Cafe, followed by break / recess! Students will be able to choose spending their break outdoors playing sport, on indoors enjoying games, reading or time with their electronics.In the afternoon, students will rotate through 2 additional classes focusing on their chosen language in any of the following categories: Sports, Games, Arts, Food and Media!
- Late afternoon, all Cohorts will meet and reflect on the day’s activities. During this gathering, they will choose members of their Cohort to practice a short presentation on what their group experienced, learned and enjoyed during the program day.
- At the end of the day, all Cohorts meet back in the Theater and take turns presenting what they learned that day to the full group. The presentations could include:
- Projecting pictures of themselves learning a new sport or game
- Demonstrating art projects created during their Culture & Arts class
- Sharing a delicious food they created in our kitchen
- This will be the typical schedule Monday-Thursday. On Fridays, the one change is that the students will spend their first class period of the day brainstorming a presentation of what they learned throughout their week at camp to present to family and friends at the end of the program day.
- At 3:45pm on Fridays, we invite family and friends to join us in the Theater for Cohort Presentations of our awesome week at Camp!
- On all Camp program days, we have Aftercare available from 4:00pm-6:00pm for an additional fee. This is a relaxed unstructured time where students can use their electronics, watch a movie, play card and board games, or spend some time outside until they are picked up for the day.
- 9:00-9:25 – Welcome
- 9:30-10:30 – Class 1: Culture & Arts
- 10:30-10:45 – Break
- 10:50-11:50 – Class 2: Culture & Sports
- 11:50-12:20 – Lunch
- 12:20-12:50 – Recess
- 12:55-1:55 – Class 3: Culture & Media
- 2:00-2:15 – Break
- 2:20-3:20 – Class 4: Culture & Games
- 3:25-3:45 – Cohort Meeting
- 3:45-4:00 – End of Day Sharing
- 4:00-6:00 – Optional Aftercare