DCI 6th Graders
To help our students get ready for middle school, there are three summer assignments for all students entering 6th grade at DCI. Students: this work will keep your academic skills strong and help you be ready for social life and computer use at DCI:
1) Practice typing with the goal of typing 30-45 words per minute. We recommend using the programs at www.typingweb.com. If you are just beginning to type, you should aim to practice ten minutes per day. Typing quickly will help you get your work done faster and keep up with notes in class…on your new Chromebook!
2) The math work is online. To make sure you are ready for 6th grade math, complete at least two sessions of 30+ minutes or three sessions of 20+ minutes of Khan Academy’s Grade 5 ‘Mission’ per week. Some students may already have their own Khan Academy accounts. For students who don’t already have accounts, they can be created by following these steps:
- Go to https://www.khanacademy.org
- Click “Start learning now.”
- Create an account.
- In the upper left hand corner, select “Subjects.” Choose “Math by grade” and then select the appropriate grade.
- Select “Mission.” There will be a list of skills for students to practice. If students are stuck, on the right-hand side of the screen they can select “I’d like a hint” or “Watch a video.” Khan Academy will track what percent of grade level skills are mastered.
Summer learning loss is a huge issue in mathematics. Keeping up with math this summer will prepare you for success next year!
3) Read the book Seedfolks and complete the writing assignment based on it.
- Students coming from our feeder schools will be given copies of the book at their schools. Students who are coming through the lottery should contact us to obtain a copy.
- The writing assignment is a choice: (1) Write your own chapter, in which you are the main character of the chapter, or (2) Write an essay in which you discuss the lessons that DCI could learn from the stories in Seedfolks. In either case, write at least five paragraphs, typed. The assignment will be due (on paper or by email) the first week of school.
- This assignment will keep your reading and writing skills strong during the summer and prepare you to help build our DCI community.
Parents: If your child needs an audio version of the book, please let us know.
If you do not have a computer with Internet access at home, Comcast’s Internet Essentials program can help! Please ask us for a brochure about the program. As well, public libraries have computers available for students, and CentroNia’s computer lab is open from 8am to 5pm most days (call 202-332-4200 to check). The programs we have assigned can be done on any computer.